Frequently Asked Questions

This section is not lengthy. It is not our intent to answer every Frequently Asked Question, just the ones that we hear most often and that we think might be of value in this format. There are too many different situations. Comprehensive details about Canadian immigration laws, rules and regulations are available on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website.

For more personal help, we suggest that you use our free initial consultation services:

  1. call us at (519) 256-4508 or toll free in Canada and the U.S. at 1-877-VISAPRO ( 1-877-847-2776 )
  2. Make an appointment to meet with us
  3. Fill in the confidential Questionnaire found in our website.

We will give you an opinion about your particular circumstances free of charge.

What is your success rate?

Over the years, we have dealt with many people seeking direction about their various immigration problems. We are knowledgeable and candid regarding the law, government policy, procedures, processing times, and fees.

We can't help everybody......some people do not meet the Canadian government's criteria. We cannot guarantee success......we are not the ultimate decision-makers.

We are, however, knowledgeable and enjoy helping people. We can and do advise, represent, and handle Canadian immigration cases with experience and professionalism. We have helped most people who have sought our services to either enter or remain in Canada, or to develop a plan of action to improve their chances. We are experienced in successfully representing clients in a full range of Canadian immigration matters, including complex cases and immigration emergencies.

The number of people who seek our help each year grows significantly. Most of our new clients come to us on a referral-basis. We take pride in the fact that our previous clients recommend their family and friends to us. Although we know how to navigate through the Canadian immigration system with great results, this continuation of expanding referrals by people who have let us into their lives, during their personal times of great distress and times of joy, is our true barometer of success.

i) Do I have to live in Windsor for you to process my application or to represent me?

ii) I may have to move away from the Windsor area. What happens if I secure your services while I'm living in Windsor and then move back to my home country?

We regularly represent people who reside around the world as well as those who live in our own neighbourhood. We communicate by phone, fax, email, and courier as required.

Are you a lawyer?

Tim Mayville is a former Adjudicator, now referred to as a Member, with the Government of Canada's Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB). Although he is not a lawyer, Tim spent 20 years presiding over immigration inquiries which determined whether people could be admitted to Canada, allowed to remain, or ordered to be removed. An Adjudicator's decision could only be appealed to the Federal Court of Canada or to the Immigration and Refugee Board's Appeals Division.

In addition to handling other duties throughout his government career, Tim also served as Acting Area Manager for Canada's busiest ports of entry in Windsor and Sarnia, Ontario.

Over the past several years, Tim has operated Mayville Immigration Services, an immigration consulting firm. Tim, along with Louise Mayville, a former federal government District Manager, are Members of CSIC, the Canadian regulatory body which authorizes them to represent people in their dealings with Canadian embassies, visa offices and other CIC divisions on Canadian immigration matters.

On occasion, a client has the option and will choose to launch an appeal to the Federal Court. The client, in that circumstance, would be provided with a referral to an experienced immigration lawyer. Although our office handles all routine immigration services, such as processing Skilled Worker, Sponsorship, or Citizenship applications, we also do appeals to the IRB, Detention Reviews, complex cases, corporate transfers, and Refugee Hearings.

Another very important question would be, "Are you authorized by the Canadian government's regulatory body, CSIC, to represent clients before Canadian immigration personnel on all Canadian immigration matters (except in the case of a Federal Court appeal), and do you know what you are doing?" The answer to that question is "yes".

What are your fees?

Most people price-shop when purchasing something. If you decide to engage our services, a fee which is competitive in the marketplace and fair for the expertise and work involved in your particular case would be established. There is a general fee schedule for most of our services but on occasion these vary due to the individual nature of some files. A "Retainer Agreement", which would clearly itemize the services to be rendered, fees and costs, would be discussed with you, signed and given to you before we would even begin working on your file.

Initial consultations are free. Visa, Mastercard and American Express are available for your convenience. When circumstances warrant, we arrange payment plans.

How can I become a Permanent Resident of Canada?

There are various programs or categories under which individuals might become Permanent Residents of Canada (eg. Skilled Worker, Business, Family Sponsorship, Protected Persons in Canada, Live-in Caregiver Program, Humanitarian and Compassionate). To find out whether you might qualify under any of these areas, review the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website or contact us directly for a free initial consultation.

What is the difference between Canadian Citizenship and Permanent Residence?

As a Permanent Resident you are not eligible to vote in federal or provincial elections. As well, certain jobs are restricted to Canadian citizens. You could lose your Permanent Resident's status for not meeting certain residency requirements or for a conviction of a criminal offence. These are some of the circumstances whereby you could be forced to give up your status as a Permanent Resident, no matter how many years you have resided in Canada, and you will be told to leave the country.

Also, having Canadian citizenship affords an individual easier access to the United States than if they were non-citizens.

To become a Canadian citizen, a Permanent Resident must meet a residency requirement, pay the prescribed government fees, pass a Citizenship test, and swear allegiance to the Queen.

I'm in Canada on a work permit. I don't qualify as a Skilled Worker because I don't have enough points. Is there any other way that I can stay in Canada?

The point system is intended to screen for potential immigrants. Those people who can make an economic contribution to Canada and who can integrate successfully into the Canadian culture are desired. Points are given for education, language skills, work experience, family ties, and so on.

You might be able to increase your points. For example, your chances might be improved by working in Canada on a work permit a little longer. If you do not have a good command of English or French, the longer that you live and work here, you have the opportunity to improve your language skills, thus possibly increasing your points.

There are also circumstances where some excellent candidates fall through the cracks of the immigration point system. A good example may be certain trades people who often have attended trade school and not university. Language skills may be lacking. Canada wants machinists and tool and die makers. Many, if not most, do not meet the minimum number of points to qualify as Skilled Workers. Considering this problem, CIC allows their visa officers discretion in such matters. Although not the norm, people can be approved with less than 67 points.

Do not assume that you are screened out of the Skilled Worker Program due to insufficient points. And, if the above does not apply to you, you may have grounds for other types of applications to stay in Canada. A review of your full circumstances would be suggested.

Can I sponsor anybody in my family to come to Canada?

No. You cannot sponsor brothers or sisters or adult children who are no longer eligible. You can usually sponsor your spouse, same-sex, conjugal or common-law partner, your parents, grandparents, and dependent children and grandchildren under 22 years of age. There are special circumstances, however, where a person can sometimes apply under other immigration programs to help re-unify his/her family. Each case should be reviewed to investigate the possible use of other immigration routes should standard sponsorship not apply

I'm an American and I was turned around at the Windsor Tunnel trying to enter Canada from the U.S. The Canada immigration people said that a conviction for something that I did years ago is on their computer records and I was denied entry to Canada. Is there anything that can be done? I have to work in Canada for my U.S. employer and this might jeopardize my job.

It depends on how long ago the conviction took place and the type of conviction you had. In some circumstances, you could be deemed to be rehabilitated simply based on your record and the passage of time. We would review your criminal record and advise you. It may be possible to file a Rehabilitation Application for you. If approved by CIC, you would no longer be prevented from entering Canada for this reason.

I'm Canadian and I was stopped by the American immigration people. I was told that I could not enter the U.S. because of a minor conviction that I had on my record when I was a teenager. What can I do?

Your situation is similar to the previous scenario. You should be aware that what is a minor conviction in Canada is sometimes considered to be more serious in the U.S. You may require an Advanced Permission to Enter the United States (commonly known as a criminal waiver). On the other hand, depending on the type of conviction, you may not have to file for Advanced Permission. Our office can help you get a copy of your criminal record, review it, and take the appropriate action, whatever that might be.

Information found in this website is not legal advice. The webpage content should not be used to make any decisions related to an immigration matter. We can provide specific advice to you only after you have contacted us and we have reviewed your individual circumstances.